Thanks to all who commented, encouraged and kicked my ass on Friday. I truly did not realize how negative I was being which is amazing to me since I’m always the most positive person in the room! I’m the one that you want to punch in the throat because, no matter what, I can find the good in any situation.
Apparently except when it applies to me…then I go all bad ass on myself.
But I heard what you said and I’ve pulled myself up by my bootstraps and come up with a new plan for these next six weeks.
Clearly I need to be accountable so I will continue to track my calories. My Fitness Pal really works for me so I will continue to use it. I will also pledge to track EVERYTHING I eat. It seems that I sometimes “forget” to enter things and then stand back in wonderment when I haven’t lost any weight or when my pants feel snug. Not acceptable. If I bite it, lick it or drink it I will log it. (I should put that shit on a t-shirt yo…nah…now that I read it again…oh never mind.)
My goal is to stay between 1200-1500 calories a day. It really is plenty of food for me BUT, if I find I’m hungry I will ask myself, “Could I eat an apple?” If the answer is no, then I know I’m not hungry. If the answer is yes…well then I’ll eat a damn apple! I’m not a big fan of fruit so the “apple test” is one that works for me.
As Paige so beautifully pointed out in the comments on Friday, I love my treadmill. I really, really do. I’m going to get on it every day except Saturday and Sunday unless the weather is ugly. Here’s how…
- Increase my daily steps to 12,000 per day. I’ve exceeded 10,000 a day for the last 6 weeks so it’s time to up the ante.
- M-W-F: Walk at 3.3 mph (I’m at about 3.2 mph walking now so taking it up a little is warranted – I may even play with the incline) for at least 60 minutes or until I hit 12,000 steps.
- T-Th: Run on the treadmill using my C25K app. I’m starting it over now that I have new shoes and after the 30 minute run I’ll continue by walking until I’ve hit 60 minutes or 12,000 steps.
- Saturday: Run outside with my second c25K app and the dogs (adds a bit of drama to the run). I’m not worried about speed as much as I am endurance.
- Sunday: Yoga. I’ve not been very good about “hitting the mat” for a while now. My subconscious knows it doesn’t burn calories so I tend to shy away. In addition, I hate the way my body feels in certain poses. However, yoga is vital to my sanity and well being, so I’m going to do it at least once a week. If I know me, I’ll be craving it by week two and by week four I’ll have to get up early to do sun salutations before dawn. Just typing that out loud makes my body relax.
The negativity in me has to end. Several years ago, I was having lunch with a very sweet friend. She heard me saying something negative about myself and she stopped me and said, “It hurts me when I hear you say things like that. You should never say anything about yourself that you wouldn’t say to your best friend. ”
So I’m going to make an effort to be my own best friend for the next six weeks. That means treating myself with kindness, compassion, forgiveness and love – something I’m not very good at but that I know is essential to the success of this journey to health that I’m on.
Oh, the scale? Motherfucker is in the trash (metaphorically speaking – hubs wouldn’t let me toss it so I’m putting it in the garage where the men go to play). It lies and makes me feel bad about myself and I am more than a number. Period.
As I said to my friend today, this is too important to give up on.
And so…with every fiber of my being I say to you this evening…