Note: I think I’m going to update my No Sugar Science Experiment on Sundays as I move from week to week. That way I won’t bore you all to death and it will give me an opportunity to revisit the week in writing and make adjustments as necessary.
When I close my eyes tonight, I will have completed one week of my No Sugar Science Experiment (NSSE or Nessie for short.) My apologies to Reneesme for stealing her nick name…never-mind, it’s the dumbest name ever so screw it…it’s mine.
I’m taking my cues primarily from the Whole 30 but I’m not adhering strictly to all of the principles so I feel like a fraud if I say I’m actually doing a “whole 30”. What I have done this past week is remove ALL refined sugar from my diet, ALL grains and ALL junk food and snacks. And I have not slipped even once.
In fact, my son William and I went to lunch on Saturday at a local place famous for their wings. I love wings…I mean really love them. I could drink the sauce they put on standard Buffalo wings. Did I mention how much I love them? He had an order of boneless (cheater) hot honey BBQ wings with a side of French Fries. Oh yeah, I also love the fuck out of some French Fries.
I did not so much as ask him for a bite of anything. I ordered a house salad, sans croutons with balsamic vinaigrette on the side which I then poured all over my salad. (Personally I think dressing “on the side” is pretentious and stupid. Salads are meant to be dressed. No one wants to see a naked salad. It’s unseemly. But that’s just me.) What’s more, I wasn’t even miserable! Not one little bit. Progress.
My “cheats” or “slips” this week are as follows (although I prefer the term modifications):
- One cup of coffee per morning. I’m no longer using artificial sweetener but I AM continuing to use International Delights French Vanilla. You’ll have to pry that from my cold dead hands. Oh, I had two cups this morning.
- I’m still drinking diet soda. Pepsi Max when I’m able and Diet Coke when I’m in a restaurant. I try to keep it to two per day but sometimes I go overboard (imagine that).
- I made a fantastic Paleo dinner tonight (balsamic chicken, roasted garlic cauliflower, broccoli and fruit salad). Please note that Paleo does not equal Whole 30. Whole 30 is much more restrictive because you’re resetting your body and detoxing from a lot of shit (which is another benefit of this diet…TMI). No sugar of ANY kind, very limited fruit, especially the high sugar kind, no dairy, etc. But since I had to convince my family that this was a good thing, I included a fruit salad of watermelon, grapes and fresh pineapple – and I ate a serving. I’m not sure what this will do to me this evening when the beast is most active. Suffice to say, this may be an early evening for me.
- I had a Starbucks Grande Skim Latte on Friday. It was good. I have no regrets.
- I chew gum on weekdays (mostly). I used to smoke like a fiend when I drove and when I quit I replaced it with sugar-free gum. I still chew gum when I drive. I also chew bubble gum in the afternoon at work. The full sugar kind.
- I’m not dairy free. I put goat cheese on my daily lunch salad (chicken breast, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil). I also put Colby cheese in my omelet yesterday and today as well as deli ham (I avoid luncheon meats because of the added preservative and chemicals but you use what you’ve got).
- Cranberry juice in my carbonated water in the morning.
So, which modifications does my beast LOVE?
- The cranberry juice in the water must go. He loves that shit and whines constantly at me after I drink it.
- Gum is going to have to be only when I drive. When I chew it other times, he shouts MORE MORE MORE, in my head so loud I could probably chew an entire pack in 30 minutes. Not. Good.
- Almonds are a life saver right now but I have to be super careful…nuts have a lot of calories.
- The jury is out on the fruit.
Now here’s the thing…
I feel better than I have in YEARS. Pink cloud? Maybe. But I hope it’s just a good diet.
I’m no longer tired all the time. I no longer want to take a nap. I’m not dosing off in front of the TV. I have energy. I’m…um…regular (this is cause for an alert on my CNN app on my phone people). I’m eating because I’m hungry (or not eating because I’m not) as opposed to eating because there is something I simply MUST have. Something that is calling my name from the cabinet or freezer. I’ll admit that midway through this week I felt like I had a hole somewhere that I couldn’t fill but today…well…it seems to be full. We’ll see what next week looks like.
So while my diet feels decidedly boring and I’m occasionally whining about how “I’ll never eat Ghiradelli chocolate chips again”, I’m already thinking about what Paleo sanctioned treats I can make for my grandchildren when they come to visit this Christmas to replace the sugar laden baked good I usually make for them (and everyone else).
I wonder if there’s a Paleo Monkey Bread?